Thursday, March 20, 2014

Death of a Salesman...The Tesla Model.

   There is a really fascinating and disruptive business practice being implemented by the car company Tesla. In certain states, if you want a Tesla you can go online or call and order one. Delivered right to your door, without the requisite poorly dressed salesman standing before you, arms crossed, asking,"What's it going to take for you to but the car today". Nobody leading you into the 'closing cubicle' with the harsh overhead lighting, leaving you alone for 10 minutes while they 'run it by my manager', just you and your computer. I know everybody has been talked down to or patronized by a car salesman at one time or another. Could there be anything better than making your buying decision without all that noise? Well, yes and no.
   Salesman, any type, are certainly derided because the first thing that comes to mind is the high pressure, fast talking, pushy, won't take no for an answer type of person. And with good reason in a lot of cases.Who hasn't had the phone ring during dinner with someone calling to find out if you have adequately planned for your eventual demise by buying life insurance? Am I the only person who has gone into a store to buy something and walked out with three extra things and a warranty for all of them? Then you get home and you have the same feeling that occurs after a night of drinking when you ask yourself, "What did I do". There is no doubt that a bad salesman can leave you broke, confused and filled with regret, sound familiar?
   Several states have decided they don't want Tesla to sell inside their borders. Auto dealers and car companies are a powerful force and they are not really hip to the idea of people not having to visit a showroom to buy a car for obvious reasons. That is a problem they need to work out right? If they don't like the way Tesla is doing business, maybe they should change. Valid points to be sure, but before we go Willy Loman and kill all the salesman, let me offer another way of looking at the situation.
   Nothing starts until someone sells something. Business is based on someone buying a good or service, and until they do, nothing happens. If there is a person who can help that sale take place to the benefit of the buyer and the seller, they become a very valuable person indeed. A good salesman doesn't just sell, he advises, he makes the sale easier and in certain cases, he won't sell. Have you ever had a salesman tell you not to go with his company, or buy his product? I have and I have advised potential clients not to switch to my company. They had a fair deal, were getting good service and were happy. Why would I change that?
   Truth be told, we are all salespeople. Have you ever gone out on a date? If you're a woman, did you wear make up? Nice clothes? Guys, did you wear cologne? Comb your hair and brush your teeth? Did you try and appear interested and make sure you conversed with intelligence and insight? What were you selling? Parents, how many times have you tried to sell your kids? Never? Please! Santa Claus? Easter Bunny? Everyday you walk out of your front door, you are a salesperson. The best salespeople get paid very well and are admired by their clients. And they should be. Don't you love a good server who leads you through a menu and makes suggestions? Or the agent who knows how much of a product or coverage you need for your situation and tells you why? One thing the Internet model hasn't been able to do yet is provide the personal service a salesperson can. Is it worth the possibility of a bad experience? Your call.
    Several months ago I was running errands and walked into a coffee shop that really could use my services. They had a credit card machine that hasn't been manufactured in five years ( I sell merchant processing). It also was located 15 feet from the counter so not only was it slow, it was slowing down the entire business. I stepped up to the counter and politely asked for the owner. The lady said she was the owner and I replied, "Great. Is there  a chance I could schedule an appointment to talk to you about improving the speed of your business?" She pointed to the sign in the front window and loudly asked if I could read. I stared at the NO SOLICITING sign and turned back and said I would take that as a no. Without another word, I turned and left. Two weeks later I walked in on a busy Saturday morning and stood in line. When I got to the counter the owner asked what I wanted. I just stared back. She asked again what I wanted. I cleared my throat and loudly asked, "Do you know what soliciting means? Can't you read the sign?" I turned and left without another word. I'm sure she was surprised to find it means to ask urgently.

Till next.....

No comments:

Post a Comment