Saturday, March 12, 2011

I am a hypocrite.

After my last blog post about the massive debt we have incurred as a country the last decade and a half it was pointed out that I need to take care of my own house first. This was no passing shot across the bow. It came from a man who I have considered a friend for 25 years now. We have gone to probably fifty different sporting events together, ran half marathons and 10ks, played more rounds of golf than I can count and spent at least a dozen holidays together. He came to the hospital after my children were born. Friends like that don't come easy.

When my life began to fall apart 10 years ago he was kind enough to try and help me out. I swore I would pay him back when I could. Never in a million years did I think my life would continue swirling the drain but it did and it started moving faster. Over the next several years I lost a job, my family and the respect of most who knew me. I say this not for sympathy because I neither want or deserve any. Even though most of my problems had the best intentions, they were all self inflicted. I don't believe in being a victim and will not start now. I screwed my own life up and the good news is I can fix it. And some wonderful people are helping.

In a perfect world my friend would have been the first one to be paid. But the IRS has a way of making themselves a priority. They wanted their 30 thousand and were very good at strangling me till I came around to their way of thinking. But they are almost done now. And then I will go onto my friend. I don't blame him for getting pissed. It probably doesn't help that we disagree on almost everything when it comes to politics and I have been known to twist the sarcastic knife on occasion. But if someone owed me money (and many do) and were constantly harping on reducing our debt I would probably call them up and ask if they meant what they promised?

Most of the posts I write are either political or humorous in nature. Sometimes both. But the ones I post on debt are not cut on party lines. Both have saddled us with a debt that is approaching a level we will never pay back. And I know first hand what large debt can do. At this point in time debt has been a large part of my losing my kids, a marriage, a business and now it appears a 25 year friendship. It doesn't have to be that way for the country if we do something now. If not, as a country, we will go through the same pain. I don't recommend it.



Till next........

No comments:

Post a Comment