Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The most beautiful sound in the world has to be....

a woman singing or humming a song they truly love. The way the sound just seems to rise up and through the doors of the bathroom. Rising above all else to reach my ears at 6 o clock in the frigging morning. I don't go to bed until 3 or 4 am and to hear someone singing and humming scared me half to death. I have never heard Scarlett sing before and I don't care to ever hear it again at such an early hour. Much like little birds chirping outside my window in the spring time, both make wonderful sounds just too damn early. Ben Franklin and his early to bed early to rise crap can take it down the road. I prefer 9 am in moderation if you please.


But once the Julie Andrews portion of the morning was over the great peace conference began. Nobody can negotiate a peace treaty quite like a mother. In Matthew's view his sister had become an occupying force in the bathroom. He announced, much like the town criers of old that it was 6:25, it was 6:25 and it was 6:25 which meant he was down to only thirty minutes to brush his teeth. He knew a coalition of forces was needed to get his sister out of the bathroom so he storm trooped into our bedroom to get the negotiator. (Not Kevin Spacey, his Mother)


She convened both parties and a truce was struck. Mothers are just better at the peace treaty thing. Dad's get the fighting to stop but leave the anger for a later date. See WW1 peace treaty for an example. So once the kids were done fighting and the hills were no longer alive I got ready for a good nights (15 minutes) sleep. And then the marathon training began. Up and down the stairs they ran. I have no idea what they were getting from their rooms only that each trip up the stairs also required a slamming door to go with it. And how two people who together weigh less than 100 pounds can sound like the linemen of the Super Bowl teams combined is a mystery to me but they do. Cattle stampedes make less noise.


My new plan for tomorrow may be the right answer. Much like the quintessential Gambini in My Cousin Vinny I may have to get thrown in jail so I can get an entire night's sleep. What if I wake up to someone singing to me in a jail cell? Maybe I haven't thought this through. Perhaps a less drastic solution is needed. Ear plugs? Good luck finding some my size. They would like those old time stoppers you used to use to plug up the bathtub. One of those masks that you put over your eyes? Zoro laying on his back with his mouth open and drool coming out is not a pretty image. Best thing to do here is enjoy the morning and get back in the bed after everyone is safely off to school. Might be a good idea to turn off the phone too. Just in case.....



Till next.......

No comments:

Post a Comment