Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A broken rubber is cause for alarm at any age...

Surprised me as well. Generally speaking, I thought the days of that phrase applying to me were well past. But today I got quite the shock while driving from Atlanta to Memphis to watch my son perform in a school program. This time of year it's a beautiful drive up into the mountains with brilliant colors and twisting roads that curve seductively up and out into the sky. Then it fades into flatter, straight, dull pavement the further you get from Nashville. Very similar to the shape and figure of the cocktail waitress' in Las Vegas the further you get from the strip. Flatter and dull until a gal named Mabel is leaning her good ear toward you to get your drink order before she heads off for her third smoke break of the hour. Boy, did I get off track.

So, on this drive just before I hit Nashville the truck in front of me lurches to the left and a huge chunk of broken rubber tire spins off his rear wheel and into the right side of my windshield. Given the fact that my reflexes are still quick and I always watch the road except while I am texting and changing the CD while I take a drink of my beverage, this happened pretty fast. It took out my mirror and left 3 dents in my door and hood. Broken headlight and a noticeable pull to the right were two other benefits from my fight with the broken rubber. I'm still healthy and the repairs are small compared to the amount of time I'll be spending explaining today's headline to certain people who might faint before reading all of it.



Till next......

No comments:

Post a Comment