Sunday, January 2, 2011

Are you crazy? The fall will probably kill ya....

Butch Cassidy was letting Sundance know he really didn't have to worry about not being able to swim. When they were about to jump off a seventy foot high rock outcropping into what could be a shallow river the fact he couldn't swim was not the primary problem to be focused on. It could be landing in a river with no water. Or the people who were shooting bullets at them.


It does bring up an interesting question though. Why do we focus on our shortcomings instead of the problems at hand? It is our nature to be fully aware of what we can't do. And if it is something that most people are good at ,then rest assured we will fixate on the fact we are not. Much like Sundance worrying about swimming we will worry about what we can't do and completely forget what we can do. How do I know this true? Personal experience.


Most human beings that have a penis attached are supposed to be somewhat handy. Drive a nail or change the oil in the car. The more developed handyman types convert garages, build decks, assemble Christmas presents, hang fixtures and a bunch of other tasks I hire people to do. I will twist myself into a pretzel to avoid doing any of these things. Because I suck at it. And I will buy presents that never have to be assembled. Because I am scared to death someone will ask me to assemble it. And then I will be forced to admit that there will be leftover parts that play a critical role in the proper functioning of the present. Instead of just hiring a handyman to do the work, I will force myself to make a feeble attempt. Why would I worry about it all?


Why do beautiful women obsess with the slight imperfections they may have? Or why women who look great will not hesitate to tell you about the 3 pounds they have left to drop. And that is in line at the grocery store. Why do we put those things front and center in our minds instead of things we can actually change that might make a difference? The reason I ask is it kind of dovetails into one of my New Years resolutions. To focus on only positive changes.



So what might those be? I have 3 things that I am focusing on daily and all are positive. All are somewhat selfish and all can be measured. So they qualify under a previous post. The first is to do one thing each day to benefit someone else. "But how is that selfish?" you ask. Because the minute you do something for another person you forget about your problems. Nuff said. Second on my list is to spend one hour a day with something spiritual. Some days I read the bible. Some days I watch a preacher on line or on tv. They have a tendency to be positive as well. And the third thing I am devoting daily time to is my dreams. We all have them and then life gets in the way. They are still there. They never left. So I decided it's time to chase them. This blog is a large part of one of my dreams and I thank you all for being a part of it.



So don't worry about the swimming part. Just go ahead and jump because the fall kills us all in the end...



Till next.....

No comments:

Post a Comment