Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Shoot me an E-mail...On second thought just....

shoot me in the head instead. I am old enough to remember when people used to actually use the voice God gave them and talk to each other. "Reach out, reach out and touch someone" used to be a jingle from AT&T. Now it might be more like "Text me,OMG, Text me more. Back in the old days if you didn't want to talk to someone you didn't answer the phone. How do you not answer a text? I guess you can say you never got it. Yea, okay, sure you didn't. I'm not normally one to bash technology but in this case more may not always be better.


How many times has something crossed your mind and you thought, I need to give them a call and find out what that was about? Or I need to call and give them a piece of my mind. Or I'll call and ask why they can't get that right. And then you forget to call. And lo and behold what happens? The problem resolves itself. Or there was no problem at all. Or you just had an anal retentive moment and you didn't need to inject your head into the conversation at all. This used to be a regular occurrence in the world. Things that were left unsaid were probably every bit as important as things that got said. Because we all have a filter that gives us pause before we make a fool of ourselves or just look like an ass. God installed this in us and it worked. Until e-mail.


Now there is no filter. See something you don't like. Shoot an email. Somebody has a dangling participle, shoot an e-mail. You don't have time to think through an intelligent response, shoot an e-mail. Missed a meeting, shoot an e-mail. Shooting blanks, shoot an e-mail. Shooting tequila on a Saturday night, shoot an e-mail. Shooting yourself in the foot, shoot an e-mail. I've see and sent more stupid e-mails than I care to remember and I vowed to quit doing it. Now I ask myself if I would say out loud before I type it. If the answer is no than nothing gets sent.


So go ahead and fire up your email account. And if you liked this post don't hesitate to....





Till next......

1 comment: