Friday, January 21, 2011

No Officer, I didn't know the tire......

was on backward. Those damn donut tires are confusing anyway. And after a few adult beverages, well you get the picture. Amazingly after changing the tire and getting back in the car we still didn't drive off. My roommate had passed smooth out. And he was the designated driver. So I had to drag him across the front seat and sit him up in the passenger seat, all while Arlington's finest were watching and laughing. (They actually had two more cars show up. I thought they were back up but they were just there to get a laugh. Seriously.) Then I walked or staggered around to the other side of the car and got behind the wheel. Bad idea.

Then the flashing blue lights came on. And the spotlight into the rear view mirror. Once they coaxed me out of the car the officer asked me where I thought I was going. "Well, I was planning on going home but my designated driver passed out when I was re-changing my flat tire because cars don't move at all with a tire put on backward. Then when I moved him over to the other seat your lights came on. So now I think I will let you tell me what to do next because I'm out of ideas." Instead of getting arrested the officer asked me to drive to the parking lot on the right and stay there for 4 hours. Then he instructed me to get out of his county without hitting anything.

The reason for relating this true story of horrible judgement and incredible luck is a good one.

That donut on our car is just like fear in our lives. If it's used properly it helps you get where you are supposed to go. If used incorrectly, it will stop you from moving at all. Being afraid to fly in a helicopter with a one-armed, one-eyed pilot named Lucky is a good thing. Helps to keep you alive. Being afraid of bungee jumping off a bridge with a really thick rubber band is prudent. Being afraid of jumping into a new relationship or job might not be. Being afraid to use your talent because of rejection is not prudent, it is sad. Being afraid of forgiving someone is not smart, it is a shame. Just being afraid isn't enough justification for being less than you should be.

We are all afraid of something. No matter how tough we think we are we all have fear. And most don't ever want to admit it. But once you do a strange and wonderful thing happens. It's not as scary. Every time I have admitted being scared to someone it takes away some of the fear. I don't know how or why. It just does. And just like turning that donut around, easing that fear makes things work better. And you don't even need to be drunk to try it. Trust me.



Till next.......

No comments:

Post a Comment